9:50 AM

This morning, I am still editing my Salesman's Journal and submit another section of the 1855 Journal on this blog for your review. If you recall in Salesman's Journal: Glassware, Chinaware, Queensware and Pottery 01, my St. Louis journalist is aboard the steamboat Clifton headed through the canal.


OHIO CANAL 
It may not seem earth shattering when he writes about the canal, but it was. The Ohio Falls prevented steamboats to navigate safely so a private canal with tolls was built. The problem was the canal locks could only hold small steamboats and Clifton- just like Arabia was tiny enough to fit in the locks. This was no accident by Pringle,  who's boat yard is credited for building Arabia's hull. As seen below by the letter; Dales is advising Pringle how to build the rudder so it fits into the lock (name is spelt as Prinkle)- Hogg is a wealthy man in Brownsville Pa who mentored Snowden who's iron works built Arabia's engine and financed several industries in Brownsville- Who is J I Dales you ask? The answer to that tells you an idea there is more than one man to be credited designing the flat bottom steamboat. (Note-steamboat modelers- please get in contact with me)

Missouri Historical Society, St Louis, Mo Box 1 Folder 10. Letter from J I Dales [Louisville, OH] to J T Hogg [Brownsville, Pa] Dated January 26, 1847 
Dear Hogg,
I have been examing the locks this morning and find [the (crossed out)] rudder 13 feet [sq or a-----?page is torn] wide as the canal. Say to Prinkle [Pringle] to make the rudder 13 feet apart from out to out an [and] we be in the safe side. Upon examing Capt Morris’ boat at Cincinnati an [and] the recess forward of the wheels[paddle wheel] I find it is made in about 12 feet. Our recess is 6 inches more than theirs an [and] I want Prinkle to make the turn in about the same distance if possible. The boat is about to leave in a few minutes and I haven’t time to write much. I have no further alterations to make in regard to the Hull (until I see Capt Sparrowhawk in St Louis) unless it should be about the bow. I should like to be with Prinkle when he is modeling an [and] putting it up. However, you will write me in time if it is necessary I should be with him.
Yours in Haste, J I Dales
Let me hear from you in regard to the Engine and what time Prinkle will be ready to set up her frame. 

Above Steamboat Card says it 's from Cincinnati to St Louis, miles begin at Louisville and does not count the miles through the canal. The journalist mentions some of the landings on this card.

Salesman's Journal Part 2
As slow as we went, we passed [past] Shawneetown while at breakfast the next morning and arrived at Evansville just after sundown the same evening. Soon after breakfast on the next day, the 25th, the Clifton passed Cannelton and Hawesville. I see children waving to us while farmers ignore us while they water their livestock in the river. The weather is rather too warm and humid to be entirely pleasant but like any gentleman, I am refusing to remove my coat.  Nevertheless it is fine weather indeed and the conversations aboard are good and appease my lack of patience. I have to sigh with regret since this is the anniversary of my marriage. This day 22 years ago she was born and I was made as happy as I could desire, so far as one of the loveliest and sweetest girls in the world could make me so.  Blessed day -- I ever hail thy return to home.

            Early on Wednesday morning, September 26th, it was raining when the steamboat stopped abruptly at the foot of the Portland canal, 2 miles below Louisville. The canal is necessary to detour Ohio falls. Just six locks and we are around the falls. I find myself amused watching the canal men with sleeves rolled up open and close the locks and which allow the boat to rise to the higher elevation and that makes the time breeze bye.
            My early decision to take a steamboat rather than two trains on this trip was sensible one, yes, truly cleaver of myself. I will be able to continue on the Steamboat Clifton clear through to Cincinnati. The later means of transportation (RR) would have required me to have taken a carriage around the falls, and reboard another train.
            The rain did not last long. It took about two hours in getting through the canal and then about say 9:00 a.m., we left Louisville for Cincinnati and reach the desired port about 10:00 a.m. Thursday the 27th.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Glassworks & Crockery

            Friday, Saturday and Monday following, I spent in Cincinnati. There, I found but one glass company factory in Cincinnati and that one is owned by Messrs. Gray & Hemingray. Their manufactory is in Covington, Kentucky and the shop for sales, packing, &c, is in Cincinnati. They use from 25 to 30 tons of clay per annum which is imported from Germany and costs in Pittsburgh $28 per ton for manufacturing pots that can resist high temperatures, which we in the business commonly call crucibles. I left samples of kaolin with them and promised to send them one or two barrels to experience with. They thought very favorably of the appearance of the clay.
            While over in Covington, I left samples and a card with Mr. Thomas A. Potter.  He will try it and write me at St. Louis.  -- I intend to send him a barrel at any rate. I also left samples with Messr. Sampson & Lindley, Hunnewell, Hill & co., Huggins, Brother & Anderson, All are crockery (wholesale) dealers on Main Street in Cincinnati.
They were all interested in the Kaolin and pronounced it superior to anything they had ever seen of the kind, and gave me the names of New York dealers and agents for manufacturers. I promised to send one barrel of kaolin each to Mr. George Scott, care of Hunnewell, Hill & co. and to Mr. N. Kendall who a Potter in Cincinnati suburbs, who makes a common article of ware.
I had a long talk with Mr. George W Sholl of the firm G W Sholl & Bro. who had just obtained a Patent for the manufacture of earthen ware coffins. I was shown the first ones they made and some very handsome. I doubt not that they will bye and bye be making them really beautiful. Mr. Sholl was greatly pleased with the appearance of the kaolin and wants two barrels sent to him. He says that if it will answer his purpose, our fortune is made and that he can afford to give more for it than any other man in the Union. My head is reeling, as I doubt not that he will soon realize a very large fortune out of his invention whether we sell him material or not… Still, I think thousands of tons of kaolin are destined to be worked up into coffins.
            I noticed this evening the weather turned a little cool and remained fine to this present writing.