11:47 PM



We pick up our story again with our St Louis Salesman who has left Washington DC to visit manufacturers in Baltimore. From there he continues on train to Philadelphia where he begins to make excuses and having extra time, what does he do? He sees gets side tracked and visits several tourist spots.


Baltimore, Maryland

        At about half past six o’clock arrived at Baltimore and spent the forenoon of Thursday the 18th, showing samples of Kaolin to some glass manufacturers and also the one pottery factory the city affords, owned by Merrs. Bennett, brothers of the owner of the factory I met near Pittsburgh.  They were interested in it and want larger samples.  I gave them and a box full, some 20 pounds.  –They were making yellow ware, such an article as is made at Pittsburgh and East Liverpool. They are practical, safe man and I think they will want some of our kaolin by and by.
As much as I could encourage all the Baltimore glass men, they were unwilling to experiment with new clay, who informed me they get the German for some $17 per ton.-
        I felt better after I went and saw a potter who makes stoneware and has tried to make crucibles. I left him a liberal sample and he promised to experiment with it. Also, I got (of Doot Perkins) a sample of very pretty kaolin from Pennsylvania which has been recently found.
I had been put up at the Eutau House when I was on my way to Washington and at Barnum’s on my return, both good hotels, but I like Barnum’s best.-

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania


With my visits done in Baltimore (a little before dark) I left in the cars for Philadelphia and arrived about midnight and went directly to Chestnut Street between Eighth and Ninth Streets to the Girard House, which is indeed “A No.1.” This is the same establishment the famous author, William Makepeace Thackeray stayed.

Gloucester, Pennsylvania

On Friday October 19th I spent all the time in a trip to chinaware works at Gloucester, which is 4 miles down the Delaware River. I found there quite a large establishment, but the superintendent was not at home. Regardless, I was treated very politely by the clerk and shown through the works and watched men washing the kaolin, and making various articles of ware. The said clerk promises to have the samples I left with him carefully experimented with. He told me that the cost of clean washed kaolin to them was about $15 per ton. He thought some of our kaolin would be wanted by them.
I left Gloucester and I did not think it was worthwhile to say anything to the Philadelphia glass manufacturers after my experience in Pittsburgh, leaving me a free afternoon for seeing the Philadelphia.

Girard College

In the afternoon I visited Girard College and Fairmount Water Works. The College is a noble structure, a vast pile of marble, massive and beautiful and all for ensuring the proper education for parentless boys. It contains a statue of Stephen Girard and many of his personal effects, including clothes. I was also shown by a young lady the beds, wardrobes, and tables of the more than 300 orphans who find a home there. Also their place for washing and each child has a basin in for himself and towel, always in one place and an abundance of water ready to be drawn from a convenient faucet. What a modern world we live in to have running water inside. Outside, the grounds of Girard College are very large and enclosed with a heavy stone wall some 11 or 12 feet high. Beautiful walks and fine trees and flowers make it a lovely place.

Fairmont Water Works


The Fairmont water Works are in the vicinity and are justly the admiration of all visitors. It is one of many marvels of Benjamin Franklin. It is indeed a lovely place.  -- I cannot take time to describe it.  The water is taken from the Schuylkill River and is excellent.  -- The pumping is done by water power -- a part of the Schuylkill and is a great piece of engineering.  Everybody should see it and its surrounding.

Laurel Hill Cemetery

It was common to have a photographer take a picture of a loved one after they died. These are called "post mortem's" Today we wouldn't dream of having picnic in a cemetary but people then did.

Saturday 20th October ’55- I spent the fore dinner part of this day in a visit to Laurel Hill Cemetery. It is some 5 miles from the center of the city.  All that I have time to say is this cemetery could be desired as a resting place for those who have gone on to the spirit world.  It is on the banks of the Schuylkill, the ground is quite broken and steep near the river, with high and massive rocks in places, giving great variety of the scenery. It is thickly shaded with a beautiful variety of trees and ornamented with very many, very costly monuments and tomb stones. There is a small chapel near the center and very handsome fences around the entire place with a beautiful entrance. Indeed a lovely place. 

Academy of Fine Arts
The afternoon was wet and I only was able to visit the Academy of Fine Arts.  Saw there many very fine paintings and statues.

Trenton, New Jersey
        At five o’clock left in the cars for Trenton and arrived safe about seven o’clock. Sunday the 21st- I walked about the town (or city) it is the capital of New Jersey -- some hours later I wrote letters to my friends and also read back numbers [issues] of Era & Telegraph [National Era & Spiritual Telegraph newspapers].  Weather rather wet.