5:42 PM

Hello and thanks for checking in….sorry I haven’t posted for a few days, but we’ve had lots of company.I received an email back from Gene Morris from the National Archives notifying me he’s completed an order form for the patent records I wanted copied. If you recall, this was my last effort to find a name for my St. Louis Salesman.
I have several leads and thought it might be Curtis Coolidge. However, it very well could be the patent witnesses Amos Broadnax or Matthias Stigers who both probably had 3/10th of the shares in the patent as my unknown salesman claims he has. Let’s see where this leads. 
After paying the $51 fee this morning for copies, I have to wait...or rather, we have to wait for the 60-90 days for the package to arrive- that makes the estimated date of arrival Aug or Sept 24, 2010.

Ms. Isenburg:
Attached, please find an order form you can use to request copies of
the two patent files, 17,254 and 19,066, that you requested. Also
attached is an instruction sheet which should answer most questions you
might have.
19066 does list William Whiting and H D LaCossitt as witnesses but I
could find no signatures from them. Some of the material was written by
Mr. Bevard's attorney Amos Broadnax. There is also a letter from a Linus
Jackson stating that he makes no claim that may interfere with this
patent. 17,254 is witnessed by Amos Broadnax and Matthias Stigers, but
there are no signatures for them. I could find no reference to a Curtis
Cooliage or a Coolidge in either file.
We hope that this information is of assistance to you. If you have any
further questions, please feel free to respond by return e-mail or by
calling (301) 837-1993.
Gene Morris
Civil Reference
NWCT2R

I have to tip my hat for Gene Morris- he is pretty smart. He checked for signatures and then I could check the penmanship. I sure do appreciate him going through these files.

Even if this documentation doesn’t confirm my salesman’s name, it is certainly will show the red tape in registering a patent. Our salesman sold Bevard the first shingle machine built by Linus Jackson. Jackson’s letter seems to be the most interesting that he wrote he had no claim even though he appears to have invented the machine and Bevard patented it.

One thing to keep in mind is this very shingle machine was sold for Florence Land Co.


I realized now that I made a mistake reading the journal and thought the “L” was “S.” See for yourself-
"July 10, 1856 Memorandum of disposition of the Shingle Cutters made by S. Jackson. He continues writing, “The first one of these made I sold to Bevard….”

Oddly enough, Linus Jackson was listed in the Kennedy 1860 City Directory as   
Jackson Linus, general agent, COMMERCIAL INSURANCE CO. S.W.  c. Main and Pine, r. Ns. Dodier b. 14th and 15th.

Linus Jackson died from Anemia, age 51 years 7 months. He never saw the civil war end.



Name:
Linus Jackson
Death Date:
12 Feb 1864
Cemetery:
St Mark
Volume:
K
Page:
255
County Library:
RDSL 7
Missouri Archive:
C 10365
SLGS Rolls:
307