11:54 AM


Hello and Welcome back to my Blog                     CONTACT ME
This CDV identifies this as Mr. Reedor [Reeder]. The Ebay Seller thought this was an officer but this outfit looks too showy, so I think it is the what a steamboat Captian wore.
It was taken in St Louis by photographer was J.[John] H. Phillips of St. Louis. Phillips is listed in the 1860 Kennedy City Directory as operating 1860 as a Daguerrean artist and resided at 146 Wash. According to Craig's Dagerreian Registry.
I checked, Kennedy's 1860 City Directory - this most likely is Mr. Alhamba [Ambrose] Reeder who is a steamboat pilot. Per the Squatter Sovereign March ii, 1856 (Newspaper) Reeder is Captain of the Steamboat "F. X. Aubrey," running the line St Louis to St Joseph. If memory serves me correctly this F X Aubrey was built in Brownsville Pa and initially owned by Adam Jacobs.(So, there is Arabia Connection).
As seen below, I found on the Mark Twain Quotes site  
lists Captain Ambrose Reeder enrolled in the 91st Infantry Volunteers, Illinois 
from St Louis to Vicksburg in July 1863...
So, I am asking the Civil War Round Tables who follow my blog, is this an Officer's Uniform or just the attire of a steamboat Captain?