8:48 PM

Welcome back to my blog.
Last week, I received an email from James Winslow who is indirectly related to the Filley Clan. His timing could not have been better since Amanda from the Missouri Historical Society sent me some copies I requested about the Filley Family.

I posted an occupational from my collection- (An occupational photograph is when a person is photographed in the object that reflects what he does for a living). So, this man manufacturers or sells what I first thought this was a top of a parlor stove (final) but after I saw this similar illustration in an 1857 book of porcelain exhibits in London, this could be potter or Queensware Merchant.... Manufacturer's copied popular designs by creating molds, so it is possible this is still a stove manufacturer - Any guesses?


Maybe this will help convince you that this is a stove manufacturer....The glass has began to break down on this daguerreotype causing the white dots, but on the right, it looks like a fireplace poker he is holding. Do you agree?






Per the Missouri Historical Society- here is Mr. Winslow’s relatives first Giles F Filley (Excelsior Stove Works) & 2nd Oliver D Filley (Tinware Manufacturer)

Mr. Winslow email asked a particularly good question and I am a great believer in the saying, 
“Don’t expect what you don’t inspect.” 
So, I emailed Conor at the Museum and after lots of company here on the east coast, I found some down time to post this blog. 
So, enjoy the emails back and forth and the Xeroxes from the Missouri Historical Society’s collection.

Mr Winslow wrote,
Elizabeth,
Love your work on the Steamboat Arabia Blog... http://steamboatarabiamuseum.blogspot.com/
I've been researching the Filley family for awhile now... My GG grandaunt; Mary Ann (Powers) was married to Edward Augustus Filley of E.A. & S.R. (Edward Augustus and Samuel Robert) Filley Importers of Fine English China St. Louis, MO and Troy, NY. Brothers; Edward and Samuel Filley were first cousins to Giles Franklin Filley of the Earthenware and Excelsior Stove Works and his brother Oliver Dwight Filley a mayor of St. Louis.

I was wondering if you have high resolution scans/photos of the platter and Excelsior Illustration? Is the platter a color photo? Do you know if the tinware found on the Arabia might be from the Filley Tinware of St Louis or Troy, NY?
Thank you. I await your reply
Jim

Hello Mr. Winslow,
Thanks for the email and I am glad you are enjoying my blog.

I am doubling checking with the museum before I answer your question about the tinware. Tinware was mass produced and cheap to buy and not suppose to last, so I'd be led to believe there would be no identifying marks, but it is always good to double check. This might take some time since the museum has hundreds of visitors a day come through a day but with patience I am sure I'll get an answer. 

Let me direct you to follow up with the Connecticut State Library, the Connecticut Historical Society and the Wintonsbury Historical Society in Bloomfield CT (outside of Hartford CT)- if you haven't read this link from my blog....read this-


The platter is a color photo and is considered Mulberry transfer ware....I am not an expert in chinaware and recommend you go on ebay and look at Chinaware checking the years 1800- 1849. As you will see, this flow type china comes in many hues.

I greatly appreciate that you liked my litho of the iron works and this will be in my book. It is in the Stretch Book of St Louis. I hand photo'd this one since because the book is very fragile and I have to have a professional scan this and that won't be until its at the publisher's. However, a month ago I saw a copy on ebay as a buy it now for $150- so you may want to keep checking and question if this illustration has not been torn out of the book.

Do also check the Missouri Historical Society because they do have some CDV's that of your relatives. I will try to put up on my site the copies they sent me in small jpgs.

I printed your email for my files so I do have you as a contact. Thank you again for notifying me that you have a connection to the Filley family and hopefully it will not be too long before we have an answer from the museum.

With warm regards,
Elizabeth Isenburg
 
Hello Conor, 
Hope all is well with the everyone there.I am getting more questions on my steamboat Arabia blog and I can't answer one and hope you can find out the answer. 
 
Mr Winston asked, "Does any of the tinware have stamps identifying the manufacturer?" 
 
I would think something so mass produced would not because it wasn't a high priced item.... 
Elizabeth
 
Hi Elizabeth, 
 
Things are going well here, summer is winding down as school starts so we'll be a little less busy until the kids start to visit. Hope you're doing well also and thanks for some great questions. 
 
The platter shown on your blog isn't exactly like the ones from the Arabia, although it looks close. You may remember the white parian pitcher, however (see page 107 of Greg's book). It was produced by TJ &J Mayer. 
 
As far as the tinware goes, I don't believe there are any maker's marks on it but you never know what we may find around here as we continue working on the collection! 
 
Have a great week, 
Conor