11:00 PM


Hello and welcome back to my blog...My book proposal is progressing and I was taking some photographs to include in my package.

As you can see above- I am using a copy cube which is a white wooden box with an opening for the camera len. The light inside the box bounces equally so there is no shadows.


Here I am cleaning the daguerreotypes glass with a paper towel with a little windex.


The camera is on an auto setting  and focused for close ups (I am not a professional photographer). Then, I turned off the flash and popped the len into place.


Looking thru the len, I adjusted the image so the auto focus will focus on these faces

These men are midshipmen ca. 1846-1850, taken at the United States Naval Academy, Ft. Severn, Annapolis, Maryland.

Per Wikipedia
The Navy turned Fort Severn into a classroom building at United States Naval Academy for young naval recruits and midshipmen. The Naval Academy started in October 1845 with 56 midshipmen and seven professors.

The leaders developed a new curriculum requiring midshipmen to study at the Academy for four years (equivalent to classical college education) and to train aboard ships each summer. That format forms the basis of the far more advanced and sophisticated curriculum at the Naval Academy today. The curriculum in the nineteenth century included mathematics and navigation, gunnery and steam, chemistry, English, natural philosophy, and French.


And Finally