9:36 AM



It is Wednesday and so far I am progressing slowly with my, “To Do List”.  Even with little time on Monday and Tuesday I managed to complete #8 on my list.
8. Email Frank  for an update about his experiment making a hologram.
Although making a hologram doesn’t relate to my Arabia project directly, it might be an option for museums to use in an exhibit.  Why, because exhibits need to tap into the human experience and a hologram brings out a 3-D effect making you feel like you are there….the image I sent Frank was a portrait (seen in the last blog) of the 1847 lady, she was a thinking, breathing person and after spenting time viewing her, don’t you feel you know her?
Daguerreotypes were the first photographic process of making an image on a silver coated tin plate (beginning in 1839) and are the only type of photograph that can produce a hologram. Unfortunately for me, most of my image collection aren’t daguerreotypes, however, my husband has collected quite a few, so I guess I am lucky.


Above I’ve posted an ambrotype from my collection of a little boy using tongs to hold a chunk of ice. Ambotypes are images printed on glass (beginning in the 1850s). This type of image is called an occupational because it hints how the sitter earns a living (tools, clothing). During the 1850s there is a sense of pride in one's job and how he makes a living defines who he is. I refer to this ambrotype as "active" since the boy is trying to actively trying to tell us about his view of the world, isn’t he?
My father was born in 1911 and he grew up on a dairy farm near Hazelton, Pennsylvania and he told me during the winter, how he'd walk out on a frozen lake and cut out blocks of ice. It was hard work, because once the block was cut, he said he would push down with all his weight and the force of the water would pop the block out of the water and onto the surface. He said the blocks would be stored in the cellar in layers of hay. (Boy do I miss his stories).
The block of ice in this ambro seems to be cut just like he described and the bottom isn't cut because the saw could not reach it. So, unlike today, this block was harvested from a pond, lake or river.
Although there are no identifying marks to the photographer, it is clear he is a boy from every town in America and certainly you’d see him at the North Levee at the Ice Depot next to where Arabia's Nicholas Springer clerking St Louis Levee showing where Nicholas Springer worked.
.


Enjoy my correspondence
Frank DeFreitas April 15 at 11:10pm
Hello Elizabeth. I was able to place the Dag in the laser light tonight. It really brings out quite a bit of detail and contrast that doesn't show as nicely in ambient room lighting. Perhaps it is due to the monochromatic nature of laser light. There are a few concerns, but I believe it can be made into a hologram. There are two issues: (1) is the mirror-like surface. I'm concerned that it might burn the holographic plate during recording; and (2) the cover flap is problematic for setting it up for recording. I might be able to get around these two concerns, however with a little ingenuity. I let you know next steps which may take place next week. -- Frank
Frank DeFreitas May 2 at 4:19pm
Hello Elizabeth. I'm looking into having a school group learn about and work on your DAG hologram. If this were to go through, it would take place during the last two weeks of May and the first week of June.

Elizabeth Isenburg May 2 at 5:50pm
Hello Frank,
First I am thrilled you are using this with a students....see, you should have been a teacher! But, really aren't we all teachers?
 Let's see how your test goes and regardless, you should keep the dag because showing the image as an example. And do write this up for an article.
The Daguerreian Society symposium is in at the Atlanta History Museum this year in October and I would like to show the image and the hologram at the meeting and then return it to you.....I think there might have others interested in having their daguerreotype turned into a hologram.
 
NOTE- if you are in the Atlanta Georgia area- you should come to the Daguerreian Society Symposium. Besides the Saturday's trade show (all forms of early photography) there are lectures at The Atlanta History Center. 
Better yet, come and JOIN using your paypal account.